Friday, September 27, 2013

The Ohio River

Louisville - August 21st
On my right side there is a 6 inch shoulder filled with a mixture of garbage and gravely rock. On my left side there is no shoulder and semi trucks whiz past me at 75 miles per hour. I have come too far to turn back, and honestly, I don't think i could turn around safely even if I wanted to. I am peddaling on highway 64, and in order to aviod traffic it is imperative that I stay on the 4 inch berm line that runs alongside the edge of the road. So I keep my head down, my upper body completely still, and I peddle forward. I shut out the rest of the world completly, and I focused on moving in an absolutely perfect straight line. I cross over the Ohio River and into the great state of Kentucky, and I thank God for allowing me to make it this far. As I got off my bike in Louisville I though about the collective effort that made this trip possible. I beamed with pride as I thought about the impact that my journey had made. All of the people that I inspired and spoke with in person. All of the people that we touched with our online video calls. And most of all, the children in India that where positvily impacted by Support My School. During my talk at the University of Louisville I discussed the importance of a collective effort. I started by explaining how countless individuals came together to help me prepare for this cycling journey, and how I utilized this united effort as motivation.Then I went on to explain how Support My School was also successful because of a collective effort, and how Indian communities came together in order to accomplish a common goal for better education. I closed with a challenge. Encouraging the group who surrounded me to find more information about Support My School at our  website at , http://www.ndtv.com/micro/supportmyschool/default.aspx, and also encouraging them to become active in their own communities. I stressed the importance of a life of service for others, and I commented on how every contribution makes a difference. My final statement was a quote from Mother Teresa, which states, "We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean, but the ocean would be less because of that missing drop." 


No comments:

Post a Comment